AS Londoners get ready to take to the poll casting their votes to elect 1,817 councillors across London’s boroughs, Londra Gazete this week looks into seeing where candidates from the Turkish, Turkish Cypriot and Kurdish communities will be on the ballot paper this May 5th.
Based on Londra Gazete’s research this year 66 candidates from the Turkish, Turkish Cypriot and Kurdish communities are racing to gain seats across 10 London councils.
Nearly half of these are can be found in Enfield where 33 candidates, a majority of which from the Labour party will be racing three independent candidates, three Conservatives and two Liberal Democrats.
The second borough with the highest number of candidates is Waltham Forest with 11 in contrast here the candidates are of a Conservative majority, with two Liberal Democrats.
The third is Hackney where 8 candidates from the community stand, a majority of these are labour with just one Conservative candidate and one Liberal Democrat.
Londra Gazete also found candidates across Haringey, Bexley, Croydon, Camden, Ealing, Lambeth and Wandsworth.
20 years ago, in 2002 just 16 Turkish candidates stood had stood in the election, while in 2014 a recorded number of 83 candidates campaigned to represent their local constitution. In 2018, 36 candidates were elected as councillors.
How do London’s boroughs work?
Each of London’s 32 boroughs are divided into wards for which voters can make their choice on the councillors for each seat.
A councillor will sit for four years.
In 27 boroughs the council leader is determined by the party group with the most overall council seats.
The five other boroughs: Tower Hamlets, Hackney, Lewisham, Newham, and, from May 2022, Croydon have their local council leader chosen directly by voters in an executive mayoral system.
- Cafer Munur (CON/ Blackfen & Lamorbey)
- Andy (Ahmet) Dourmoush(Con/Longands)
- Yusuf Ali Osman(LIB-D/Waddon)
Camden – 1
- Meriç Apak(LAB/Kentish Town)
Ealing – 1
- Devrim Kutlu (Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition /South Action)
- Uddin Mahtab (LAB/Anros Grove)
- Ediz Cahit Mevlut (Con/Bowes Park)
- Ahmet Oykener(LAB/Bowes Park)
- Otkay Cinpolat (IND/Edmonton Green)
- Gunes Arkbulut(LAB/ Edmonton Green)
- Ergin Erbil(LAB/ Edmonton Green)
- Suna hurman(LAB/Enfield Lock)
- Sabri Ozaydin (LAB/Enfield Lock)
- Eylem Yuruk(LAB/ Enfield Lock)
- Hivran Dalkaya (LAB/ Brimsdown)
- Ahmet Hassan (LAB/ Brimsdown)
- Bektas Ozer (LAB/ Brimsdown)
- Mustafa Cetinkaya (LAB/Hazelbury)
- Ayten Guzel(LAB/Southbury)
- Mehmut Aksanoglu (LAB/Southbury)
- Sinan Boztas (LAB/Lower Edmonton)
- Guney Dogan (LAB/Lower Edmonton)
- Elif Erbil (LAB/Lower Edmonton)
- Esin Gunes(LAB/Bullsmoor)
- Gunseli Erdogan (LIB-D/ Bullsmoor)
- Susan Erbil(LAB/Caterhatch)
- Tolgay Suleyman (CON/High Field)
- Mutlu Kurtulus Mevilt Beyzade (IND/Palmers Green)
- Ertan Hurer (CON/Palmers Green)
- Zeynep Aksanoglu(LAB/Ridgeway)
- Yalcin Aksanoglu(LAB/ Ridgeway)
- Hassan Yusuf (LAB/Whitewebbs)
- Ayfer Orhan (LIB-D/Whitewebbs)
- Isik Husyein Akpinar (LAB/Bush Hill Park)
- Nesil Caliskan(LAB/Jubilee)
- Alev Cazimoglu (LAB/Jubilee
- Cemal Sazdili (IND/Jubilee)
- Sibel Ozcelik(LAB/Town)
Kensington And Chelsea – 1
- Cem Kemahli (CON/Royal Hospital Ward)
- Erdal Doagn (LAB/Bruce Castle)
- Makbule Gunes (LAB/ South Tottenham)
- Peray Ahmet (LAB/Noel Park)
- Emine Ibrahim(LAB/Noel Park)
Hackney – 8
- Altan Hassan (LIB-D/Dalston)
- Faruk Tinaz(LAB/Stamford Hill West)
- Deniz Cemgil Oguzkanli (LAB/Lea Bridge)
- Mete Serdar Coban (LAB/Stoke Newington)
- Ali Henry Sadek (Labour/King’s Park)
- Muharrem Can Ozsen (LAB/London Fields)
- Ilkay Cinko-Oner (LAB/Laycock)
- Joe Mehmet (CON/Canonbury)
- Ebu Bekir Cetinkaya (CON/Arsenal)
- Gulcin Ozdemir (LAB/St George)
- Omer Esen (Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition /Holloway)
- Nurullah Turan (LAB/Laycock)
- Berkay Kertav (Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition /Herne Hill& Loughborough)
Waltham Forest- 10
- Eylem Kizil (CON/Cann Hill)
- Sazimet Palta Imre (CON/Chingford Green)
- Isa Kay(CON/Chingford Green)
- Ismet Karamehmet(CON/Forest)
- Sakarya Karamehmet(CON/Forest)
- Sema Karamehmet(CONForest)
- Canan Nuri(LIB-D/Hale End & Highams)
- Justin halabi(CON/Hatch Lane)
- Eliz Karamehmet(CON/Leyton)
- Ipek Naciye Ozerim(LIB-D/Valley)
- Aydin Dikerdem (LAB/ Shaftesbury & Queenstown)Wandsworth- 1
LAB- Labour Party, CON- Conservative Party, LIB-D- Liberal Democrats, IND- Independent
Update: 25.04.2022/addition of Lambeth candidate.